Old 07-18-20, 05:22 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Who else is using a gravel bike as a road bike? What is the trade off (if any)?

So I recently bought a Giant Revolt Advanced 0 and swapped the tires for 700x32 GP5000 tubeless and have so far used the bike exclusively for road riding. Theory was it is essentially an endurance road bike geometry (close to the Defy model) with added tire clearance and versatility. Curious if others have gone this route and what thoughts are on what (if any) trade offs they are experiencing. At this point I don't have much to compare it to other than that this bike is super comfortable, certainly versatile given I have a second set of wheels for true gravel use. It seems this bike may be marginally heavier than a comparabley priced road bike, but I can't confirm that, nor do I know why this may be the case. The gearing is also a bit lower at the heavy side with 48 teeth on the front versus the more typical 52 on a pure road setup (I may change this and it's only about 150 bucks to swap using the same Praxis carbon components that came on this bike).

Anyways, as I am finding myself getting much more into road cycling, I'd be interested in whether others have taken a similar approach or have thoughts on any glaring differences between my setup and a "traditional" road bike.