Old 07-18-20, 07:57 AM
mattscq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I did the opposite and put 32c Gravelking SK tires on my Canyon Ultimate road bike and while I wouldn't say I've done anything at all intense, it has worked well enough to let me go off onto a trail or grind through some light mud/loose gravel. The tires do feel much more sluggish on tarmac though. Now I just bought new wheels so I can hot swap it between a suitable road bike and an over-geared gravel/CX bike.

As for your setup, I would imagine that a lot of the tradeoffs are probably negligible unless you're competitive or racing. Are you finding that you're maxing out at 48x11 a lot and wishing you could go faster? If you do swap to a 52/36 (maybe a 50/34 would be a good middle?), I can say that I often wish I had lower gears when I'm offroad (I have a 52/36 x 11-30 and I can't change the back without a new derailleur) and I seldom get up to 52x11/12/13 unless I'm trying to blow through a descent.

What does your body position look like on it? You could maybe try to slam your stem to get lower but I'd say if you're comfortable and not trying to break any personal or world records, just leave it alone and you've already done plenty with the tires.