Old 09-21-20, 07:40 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
On the plus side -

We're in for a warming trend in the weather. That means lows in the 50's 60's instead of the 40's and even upper 30's.

I am also hoping my main constraint passes by Thursday.

On the down side -

Next week is supposed to bring rain. I'll keep my fingers crossed it's spotty and not a Fall monsoon setting in.

This weekend I'll concentrate on gear and hopefully get a fully loaded shake-down ride in. I remember on my trek in November that the bike would wobble when fully loaded. I am thinking that is mainly from having a high percentage of weight on top of the rear rack, as opposed to hanging down low. I will experiment with loading and see if I drop things off the sides if that makes the steering straighten out.

I also need to tweak my front derailleur. I have a quad chain ring set up and had tuned it earlier this season. Now I am having trouble getting to the largest chain ring. I can get to the lower 3, and honestly I have barely ever used the large one, but I would like to have it to shift to for cruising down hills or running slight declines at a faster pace.

I have recently gone through both hubs and relubed. They're both in great shape. I do have a "bump" in the front wheel. That reminds me... I was going to check with a buddy that has a truing stand to see if we can dial in the spokes and get the bump out. Might as well dial in the rear one also if we're at it.

The past 2 rides I changed my bar and saddle positions. I raised the bar all the way up. That was too far so I dropped it back down an inch or so. Now it feels about right. As to the saddle - I moved it forward. So far so good. I wanted a more upright position to change a couple things and I think I hit the right spot.
Likes For KC8QVO: