USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
I'd be tempted to shorten the cage on that 105 FD. Looks like you don't have to make it much smaller.
You already have a 'Z' bend end plate-it's the one you'll cut off on the long cage. That should come very close to accommodating the height/width difference between the shortened outside and inside cage plates.
I'd wrap that piece around the outside of the shortened cage using the existing inside cage bolt and something small and elegant on the outside with a button head or recessed head 3mm bolt.
If you have to do some bending or carving of that piece with a Dremel, paint it black or use a silver paint marker.
You don't need much 'push' to get over chain rings with that small a tooth difference.
That might work, except that the inside plate has cutaways just above the current bolt... and of course my notable lack of talent/technique when it comes to folding metal or even cardboard.

This reaffirms what I've known for many years. The C&V community is great. I appreciate all the ideas and offers. I really didn't come here fishing for FDs, really just wanted to pick folks' brains, and I have gotten all I hoped for and more. If I can't source a suitable NOS Shimano MTB FD at a reasonable price, I will post in the ISO/WTB thread.