Old 02-10-21, 03:15 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jleeg
Issue: Is the innovation I’d get in a new bike significant enough in terms of safety and performance? Wider tires can’t be accomplished on this bike, modern geometries and weight can bring a more nimble ride, I guess.
A lot of things have changed in 28 years, but whether the changes have been significant enough is very subjective. You have a very nice bike that will clearly last a lot longer, especially with the updated drivetrain.
On the other hand, I have a couple of 20+ year old racing bikes that are very nice bikes. My body, however, is also 20+ years older. I prefer not to ride those bikes for more than a couple of hours at a time - the combination of 23mm tires and a lower riding position is tiring. I think you should at least test ride something with a more relaxed riding position. I have found that in two bikes, one simply by going a size up and fiddling with the stem position, the other with a much taller stack. 28 or 30mm tires also make a huge difference in terms of comfort.
Personally, I don't feel the need to go with either electronic shifting or disc brakes, but they are objective improvements. Whether or not they make enough of a difference to you, only you can say.
In short, you have nothing to lose in trying out a few new bikes. If you want one and you can afford it, then why the hell not?