Old 09-17-09, 06:59 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
A nice day. A long day. Suffer through my long post or skip over it.

As I headed towards what turned out to be my last pick, "5 or 6" boxes from 15th street to Union Station, I messaged base that it should be a rush. This was a technicality, the ticket indicated that the job would be ready for pickup at 4:30 and should be picked up no later than 5:30. Regular service for a car job downtown only promises 2 hour delivery time, which almost but not quite would require a pick up within one hour of scheduled pick-up time. I tell too many tales out of school, eat this message after reading it. Our services aren't cheap, but if you want better than regular service, you should pay a little more.

When I got there it was 4:45 and the eleven boxes were marked "drop by 5:30". Wait a minute, you told us pick by 5:30 not drop by 5:30, you did not request rush delivery, you said 6 boxes. This should have been a hatchback charge as the load would not fit in some cars, and I probably should have charged loading time, two full handtrucks with a labyrinthian end game, but I left it as a car job and I did not add a time surcharge. We did have to upgrade it to a double rush. I had another job to Union Station on my itinerary which I had to give up, which is why this turned out to be my last pick.

I made it with plenty of time to spare, but I was a little too amped up to stop for pictures. Picture in your head a big load 250lb with a hastily placed tarp over it. Suffice to say, if the off and on drizzle we had today had changed to rain during that trip, I might be looking for a new job tomorrow.

Bikestation on the west end of Union Station looks to be coming together nicely. They will have showers, lockers, bike storage. I don't consider bicycling an activity that requires showering afterwards unless you rode through poison ivy, and I can't really visualize all the bikes parked at Union Station fitting in here, but it's looking like a pretty cool addition to our city and if it increases bicycling, that's good.