View Single Post
Old 08-12-13, 07:51 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
I thought that heads out would be better because it would help to increase NDS spoke tension. That's what I did on my build using Dati hubs which have even less NDS flange offset.

The build I did(2xDS& radial heads out NDS)is plenty stiff for me.

The other question I have about these hubs is the speed of freehub engagement. I love how quick the Dati hubs hook up because of the 51 teeth in the hub. I never had a problem with my old Neuvation wheels until I got used to the Dati hubs, but now they feel a bit slow to engage.
Heads out on the NDS will increase NDS tension, but at the expense of a little stiffness. Heads in on the DS also increases NDS tension but with an overall increase in stiffness, not decrease. That would be a reason to prefer this latter method. It is hard to cross spokes with all the heads pointing the same way, unless the cross number is very low like 1X. If radial, then there is no problem to point all the heads on a side in one direction.