JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
+++1.

This summer I bit the bullet and went with a Brooks C-17 on my Bianchi Volpe. I have been pleased so far. I am 230lbs and ~5'9" on a 55cm frame. I returned to cycling after a long hiatus when I retired and decided to lose weight and after a year of my vintage Fuji, decided to get a new steel framed bike fitted traditionally (larger frame with longer top tube and shorter seatpost).

I have the Volpe setup with the drop bars even with the saddle center. Unlike my prior bikes and saddles, I have the nose tipped a degree or two down. I ride more on the bar flats or the brake hoods than the drops, but do the drops about 33% of the time.

I also do not currently use padded shorts, so that is a consideration. I used to ride with wool shorts and real chamois (my favorites for comfort), and I actually found some newer shorts that fit from this forum, but I really grew to like the 4 pockets in my Rivendell MUSA touring shorts.

I used the stock ATB Bianchi saddle for 18 months and found that at 15 miles or 2 hours if stop and go, it was noticeable and at 30+ was truly hateful. I tried my old leather topped Avocet (circa 1980) and it was better, but eventually became uncomfortable at the 40 mile point. I tried an old French Ideale 39 from my vintage Peugeot, but that was hard when new on my young butt and is better for display on the classic Peugeot.

I kept looking at Brooks and tried out the honey Brooks B17 and liked it but was apprehensive of the longer break-in. I was considering the pre-broken in version, but decided to try the C-17 for its weather resistance and was sold. I bought it in Rust color.

My personal take on this search: I believe that the padding on many saddles is the main culprit of discomfort. It feels great at first, but as it compresses is loses its advantages and comfort is then dependent on the flex of the under shell. The Avocet was a great saddle in its day as the shell is thinner at the sit bone points and has a gel padding that is not cushiony but supportive, but it no longer aligned with my body after many years of being off the bike. Trying different bikes of colleagues and at shops I found the newer saddles were too hit or miss. The C-17 has the hammock effect of the B-17 with the weather resistance and the fact it will not noticeably change (claimed by C series owners) over its life. We will see if that is true. It is however for me the right amount of support versus flex and agrees with the unpadded shorts. I will try a pair of padded shorts this spring.
I think your point about the padding - especially with Clyde’s - is dead on. Clyde’s pretty much flatten the padding after about 30 minutes or so according to one saddle mfg I talked to. So the underlying shell has to be compatible with you undercarriage or it’s going to start hurting about 30 minutes into your ride.

I’ve found that to be true for me as well, while I hover just over the line into Clyde-dom, I find I’m much happier with saddles with firm padding and I think the above is the reason.