Old 03-27-18, 07:49 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
If you want to learn some stuff, google Ketogenic Athletes. Interesting stuff to be found.

I don't eat carbs for rides anymore, long or short.
Actually, I do know a bit about the ketogenic diet (although I'm no expert), and I can agree that's a great diet for losing weight for many. However, it is not an efficient substitute for producing energy to fuel an aerobic activity such as cycling. Carbs, when used as fuel are your body's most efficient macro nutrient for high-intensity energy conversion.
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
It was an interesting change. Before going keto, I had to "fuel" my rides meaning I had to carry Clif bars or gel packs that I had to ingest periodically to get me down the road when my sugar levels would drop.

Now I don't typically carry or eat anything and I don't have that up and down energy level during rides. It just stays consistent throughout. If I do a longer or harder ride, I might carry a small sleeve of sunflower seeds but many times I get back and haven't eaten them.

Making the change from sugar burner to fat burner was tough initially as I had a few bad rides, but after a couple of months I was able to ride without needing sugar for fuel anymore.
You don't really need carbs for fuel but there are some clear advantages when exercising.

Last edited by KraneXL; 03-27-18 at 07:52 AM.