Old 11-15-19, 07:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremiesmith77
I am not sure what latent defect would come up later that I would not notice on the initial inspection and test ride. Perhaps you can offer some inspection tips?
All sorts of things you cannot see or feel from a test ride. Internal things, like in the BB and tubing itself. You might not be able to tell if the cables need replacing. Wheels could be weak from improper tensioning during their lives. Are the rim braking surfaces convex from wear? When you lift up the rear of the bike by the saddle and spin the rear wheel can you feel vibration, suggesting a crunchy rear hub? Drivetrain wear? I can see several areas of rust on the chain, and there is rust in one of the brake shoe bolts. How old is the frame? I had a '08 trucker in that color that was stolen. Surly changes the available colors every few years.

If I were buying my "dream bike" I would buy it new and from someone who can answer for any issues, especially if I am going to be using a bike like that for its intended purpose: Loaded touring. But that's me.

BTW...Are you planning to do any loaded touring? If not, and as many owners will tell you, the LHT is not a dream to ride "naked." I both tour and commute on mine. It's heavy, although this particular build (It's obviously not stock) may make that less of an issue. It's slow, due in part to its relaxed geometry. It doesn't corner worth a damn. Also, this particular build appears to have 32H wheels. At 300 lbs. with gear, that might not be such a good idea. And the gearing is not suitable for a full load on hilly terrain unless you are a monster.

Last edited by indyfabz; 11-17-19 at 09:30 AM.