Old 05-20-20, 03:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 3,908 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Flushing a car engine with citrus degreaser and rinsing with water every thousand miles would not be a good thing, IMO.

The OP doesn't detail how thoroughly rinsed, how thoroughly dried after rinsing, how thoroughly and with what the chain is lubed.

I'm not a capillary action doubter, but can still imagine solvent & water remaining in the chain, preventing full lube, and those chain cleaners don't necessarily do much inside the chain where it matters.

Agree with SethAZ that cleaning after the initial wear-in period is good.
At some point one has to trust that when someone says stuff, like " rinsed several times, and then dried thoroughly. The chain, a SRAM PC 850, has no surface rust " they are not fibbing. I guess that instead of doubting the OP's technique and it's description I chose to believe them. Others might wish to see wiggle room. Since I have no dog in this fight I'll move on. Andy