Old 06-03-20, 02:29 PM
AMGwagon

Bikes: Seven Axiom XX '18; Seven Aerios '06; Seven Sola '04 and others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Jim_from_Boston...
That video is tragic and heartbreaking. Given the lack of movement for the last 14min of the video, I'm guessing that person did not survive. And while I tend to side with bikes in 99% of the time in car-on-bike violence, in this case that motorist did nothing wrong. That was all on the cyclist for a few reasons:
* This is a four-lane road with ample shoulder room for cyclists. Most state/county laws dictate cyclists ride on the right side of the line unless obstructed
* The sun was low in the sky, and the motorist could not see the cyclist. Perhaps this raises the question of culpability for any driver. Where visibility is limited, they must reduce speeds.
* Lastly, with that rumble strip it was a bonus safety feature for the cyclist to be riding the shoulder. It serves as warning for the cyclist and the driver if it is crossed.

As far as the OP, I use the Fly 6 & 12, which will only help in a post mortum situation. My question to the others here, with the Garmin Vario, am I to understand that it ACTIVELY changes its lighting sequence to improve chances that approaching motorists see the cyclist from behind? If so, I can see the value, otherwise my ears and my tendency to ride as far right (and check over my shoulder all the time) is all the prevention I could practice even with the Garmin device. I have the Edge 1030 and even that screen is too small to be used to read about what's behind me, esp as I navigate twisty roads with limited shoulder room and potholes everywhere.

Be well