Old 03-25-20, 12:17 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by 100bikes
The basic nature of big box store products. It is pretty easy to change color, slap any of wide array of decals
on one of these and call it a bicycle. Low end components. poorly manufactured and speed assembly put on
branded name plate = BSO's(Bicycle shaped objects).

No precision, really not repairable and as stated above, virtually no value in resale.
A true indicator of the throw away mentality.

As an industry, bicycles are a bit of an inconstancy.
The humble bicycle is a lifeline of mobility for many around the world.
They are very simple, functional and actually, very fun to ride.
They are virtually free to operate, save for cost to maintain and replace wear parts.

There are very few protections from the consumer receiving poorly manufactured, poorly assembled and
non precision units.( Note the posts and photos of big box units with the fork on backwards).
Assembly on the big box level is "pieces per hour".
Assembly at the LBS level is more of "hours per piece".

I would venture a guess there are more regulations for a pair of electronic ear buds than for a bicycle.
Compare a fork failing to the worst that could happen to many consumer product failures.

It is interesting to note that the cost of a LBS bicycle tune up or a professional assembly can rival or exceed
the initial cost or that of replacing a big box model with a new one.

The "return it because it broke" mentality fostered by amazon has people believing that this is their right.
Ebay's orientation is that the vendor/seller is always wrong and needs eat the costs for user error or abuse.
The "customer is always right" mentality of yesteryear has evolved into "Solve my stupidity or do what t I want or I'll sue or more
and its current iteration - "I'll blast you on social media" because you are not willing to roll over".
"I put the product through things it was never engineered to do, now it doesn't work or I bought the wrong thing
and I demand my money back" has become the consumer mantra.

​​​​​​Free service, free parts and immediate satisfaction. Free shipping to be included!

rusty
Back in the mid-1980s I worked at the main Canadian Tire store in Toronto Canada. At that time they had a lifetime warranty of frames and forks. We got a LOT of returns of MTBs because people tried to use them like a real MTB and the front fork would fold frontwards when the bike landed after going over a small drop off. Those bikes were mostly SIERRAs. I don't know who actually made them but the forks were quite flimsy for an MTB. Ditto for the adult 24" x 2.0" wheeled BMX bikes = flimsy forks.

WHen I volinteered at a bicycle co-op most of the bikes brought in for repairs were department store bikes and the most usual repair requested was to get the shifting to work. Index shifting but with spiral wound housing = many problems especially if the front shifter was for a indexed triple.

Cheers