Old 02-18-17, 02:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
Learn from my mistakes. While this example doesn't apply 'directly' to bicycles, it does.
A few years ago I went back to motorcycling to finally get my license that I had been wanting for many years. I've been a huge Ducati fan all my life and I thought, one day I'm going to get my license and buy that Ducati I always dreamed of. Well, I got the license, fell in love with motorcycles all over again, but I didn't get the Ducati. I went with a Suzuki to save money and thought "it's similar, so, it's fine". But it wasn't. Every time I rode that bike I wanted that Ducati more and more and more until I eventually sold the darn thing for a loss and bought the Ducati.
I think you get the point of my story. If you don't get the Colnago, every time you ride whichever bike you DO get, you'll want that Colnago more and more and it'll eat away at you like a hungry termite. While, I'm not trying to be an enabler, part of why we ride bikes, motorcycles, etc.. is because we love the sport and looking at our bikes. Let's face it. But, as Dan has mentioned above, go check out some of the other Endurance bikes in that class that are available near you (if any) and see which one fits you. You might find another that you like. Cervelo c3 c6, Canyon Endurance, Giant Defy, Pinarello Razha are all other options.
That is one side of the coin.

On the other side of the coin, there are millions of exercise machines collecting dust in people's garages and basements. It seemed like a good idea when purchased, but just weren't as exciting once they were brought home.

Browsing Craigslist, or one's favorite bike ads, and it isn't uncommon to find a bicycle listed almost new, ridden < 100 miles, or whatever. Some decades old, with original tires.

Just be sure that the "dream bike" is the right thing, and also is the style of riding that you'll be doing. Road riding isn't for everyone. Fenders? Fat Tires? Disc Brakes?

Oh, and I really like my Colnago C40, and will eventually get a C50 built up. I probably won't do a C60 for some time though. But, who knows, perhaps the right deal will show up.