Old 03-13-18, 09:02 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
I had reported earlier about two checks, lost for weeks in the system.

Well, I can report a third one - it too finally showed up, but of course one day after I had the issuer cancel the original and reissue me a new one.
I am not sending major checks via USPS ever - tracked, no track, priority, no priority - again.
I think there is a sixth sense out there about checks and money in the mail. I mail letters to my son a lot, they all get through, including cards. The one time I send $200 cash in a card, it disappears. Local postmaster got involved, turns out mail for the college is left on a dock and then picked up by non-USPS employees. Postmaster convinced me to send another "dummy" one, and this time, they caught the guy (college student working part time) and got my money back.

As far as dropping at the counter and leaving. Yes, it does not get into the system, but it still may be on the way to the destination. I shipped packages to Houston, same way, a few years ago, Christmas presents. Similar experience, no tracking, seemed to be going to Houston by way of Memphis. Postmaster got involved again, and the postmaster in Houston personally delivered the packages and an apology to my relative.

I'm not going to knock the service, or the system. I wouldn't leave a $250 coat at a dry cleaners with no ticket, so I sure wouldn't leave a frame in the "care, custody, and control" of a post office full of people. Those in line may well know the system, and know that if it isn't scanned, it doesn't exist. However, postal workers remember big boxes, and all I've ever met were service-oriented. Let the postmaster in that office work on it, and if no one took it, I'll bet it shows up.

I mailed two packages of bike parts yesterday, to BF members. Dropped them off at 4:07 pm, watched Mr. Robert (dead ringer for Lester Freeman on Wired) scan them, had a nice conversation with Ms. Carter, who's been wearing the same hairdo for 4 years. Rec'd notices in my email before I got home. I then sent tracking #'s to the buyers.

Rec'd notice at 2:42 am this morning they'd hit the distribution center. Both are due to be delivered tomorrow, one in MA for $7.20 and one near DC for $9.90. This from NC. I'm thrilled this can happen in this day and age.

I mean, it's not like having a pocket full of $20's at a strip club, but it's pretty good.