View Single Post
Old 02-12-21, 04:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
If you don't want to use clipless pedals there are tons of excellent platforms. I like the Crank Bros Stamp line of pedals (the 7 is my top choice). If not that Spank makes some excellent pedals as well. The key in all of this is good replaceable/adjustable pins which will give excellent grip without the use of anything that makes it harder to use like a toe clip and strap. Also good bearings and bushings are helpful but for the actual grip part those pins are for the wins.

Toe clips are really designed for road and track usage where you want to crank down on everything and make sure it is tight so you can get maximum stability to put out great power without slipping and sliding. The idea is so you cannot get your foot out easily at all and even loose they can be hard to get in and out of with quickness and ease. Hence why we have clipless pedals which make it super easy to get in and out of but also lock you in so you can put out the power.

Every time I use toe clips and straps it is always such faff getting in and out and if I am not on the correct side of the pedal which is common because the toe clips are heavy and move the pedal to a bad position, I am usually dragging toe clips on the ground till I can get my feet in them. If I was wearing proper road shoes it might be a tiny bit easier but I wouldn't dare ride road shoes on a mountain bike.