View Single Post
Old 02-20-21, 11:17 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I’m surprised this thread is still going. An argument has been made that newer suspension, different geometry, and one by drivetrainst I pushed mountain biking out of the realm of affordability. It’s always been an expensive hobby and there are not very many new bikes out there at all if any that tick all the boxes of what would satisfy a long-term enthusiast for less than $2000

It’s always been that way. When I started in 1989 my bike cost $400 new and it was a budget oriented beginner model. Today a new trek marlin is in the five or $600 range it has 29 inch wheels and front suspension. The &2-300 $ difference is likely far less than the inflation rate has been for the last 31 years

That will buy you a machine that will get you on the mountain, just like my $400 Bridgestone did for me back then. And if you decide that you prefer road riding or riding bike paths and don’t want to pursue harder trails, Then a bike like that can be a fine companion for years.

I started racing on my $400 Bridgestone and honestly it did not take long before I had replaced and upgraded nearly everything, because racing is hard on equipment. I still have the frame set somewhere and may refurbish it for fun, But my point is everything I’ve ridden since then has been higher end stuff but I made a significant time investment on my $400 bike to determine that this was something worthwhile for me

but

Last edited by DMC707; 02-20-21 at 11:32 AM.
Likes For DMC707: