View Single Post
Old 03-03-21, 08:30 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
I used to be a car mechanic, and most of the mechanics I worked with were very good, although some of our clients were not as smart about how their cars were fixed as they thought they were. I used to wipe the excess grease from the suspension ball joints after pumping fresh grease in to reduce the amount of road dirt that would stick to it and make its way under the so-called 'dust seal'. Then some clients would get on their knees to check, not see old gooey grease sticking out around the joints, and so assume that no regreasing had occurred.
I can relate! And then there are the others that if you leave the excess grease on would complain about how dirty you left their car...
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Also, my wife expects me to fix things that need repair around the house. This includes all varieties of plumbing, electrical, drywall and paint, appliances and automobiles. And everything around the house that can be repaired: jewelry, small kitchen tools, power tools and the like.
Same here.
Originally Posted by mack_turtle

personally, I take great pride in fixing things myself. bicycles are really SO simple that I would feel like a total chump doing anything but the most complex tasks. it's not a matter of time or money, just feeling like "what kind of weakling would I be if I paid someone to install a new bottom bracket instead of doing it myself like a functioning adult?"

I also don't know that I can trust all mechanics. I've seen some SLOPPY work come out of bike shops.
+1