View Single Post
Old 05-23-18, 10:43 AM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
He said that in a conventional tensioned spoke bicycle wheel the hub stands on the lower spokes. Then he shucked and jived claiming that reduced tension is compression which absurdly defies structural engineering. He never came off the "hub stands on the lower spokes" error or any of his other mistakes. His propensity to turn small mis-statements into enduring large errors out-lived him.
I know what he said, I have the book sitting right next to me. And I agree that he could hardly admit to be wrong. That's indeed the unfortunate part of his legacy. We're not bound by that though.

I'm not defending the "standing on its spokes" claim. It didn't sit right with me when I first read it 25 years ago, and it still doesn't. I am trying to contextualize it as first as a too-single-minded attempt to refute the "hanging" theory, and second, as a functional metaphor in what is basically a non-engineering text. Metaphors are inherently inaccurate, so is a bad one an "error," or just a bad metaphor?

In case you're wondering why I would bother to try to contextualize it, it's because continuing to bust Jobst's chops for getting something "wrong" is just playing the same game he did and trying to beat him at it. Not really a fair fight at this point, since he's no longer around to answer for himself. I not interested in that game. I'm interested in the wheel. I'd be very interested in your explanation of what's happening in the wheel, if you'd care to give one. Doesn't have to be yours originally.