Old 12-15-19, 03:30 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Hello, I have a 31 lb mtb I would like to replace for gravel riding. Most of the bikes I'm interested in are 9-10 lbs lighter, so I'm trying to figure out how to narrow down the choices.

At the moment I'm trying to decide whether to build a bike based on 650b or 700c. I'm finding a lot of frames will take both sizes, but there don't seem to be as many wheel choices for 650b. Most of my riding is smooth to moderate gravel (50+ mi, 5000 + ft climbing). I also like to ride really fast, and am currently riding 1.75" tires, which is about 45 mm. Should I stick with that size, or go the 650b route and have the option for wider tires?

Dave
If you're looking at building up a frameset, then you can always get a custom 650b wheelset.

I'd tend to think if you like riding really fast at times, then a 700c will keep its speed better than a 650b.

One thing to consider in a frame is the bb drop, even more so if considering to run two wheel sizes. You may find running a larger 700c that the ride position feels too tall, compared to something like a 650b 2".