View Single Post
Old 03-27-20, 07:47 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
The question makes sense from the perspective of needing something to get around on and how much that costs. ............snip ...................
In my opinion, it doesn't make economic sense unless you really like bicycles better in the first place. Enthusiasts will pay thousands for the bike, motor or not, so from their perspective it's not all that much more expensive.
Not everything I do in my life is based on money. For example, as a father of two 30+ year old sons, it could have been less expensive to send money to a 3rd world country and help 2 orphans get through school, get university educations and ... Raising my two sons was certainly expensive - and time intensive - for my wife and for me.

BUT, I did not. Similarly, I have 2 bicycles custom built to fit me by a now-retired expedition grade bicycle builder. Both bicycles cost over $3000 each, fit me very well, and sure have stood the test of touring outback Australia. Now, I could have rented a poorly-fitting touring bike (I am 6'5"), but chose to have bicycles that fit me and...

Make choices and live with them. I did and still do. By the way, maybe I should have helped 3rd world orphans, as well as raising my two - and still may - because my oldest son is sending money to help a child in Vietnam.

Last edited by tmac100; 03-27-20 at 11:30 AM.
Likes For tmac100: