View Single Post
Old 04-05-20, 06:27 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbaman
Thanks for your reply!
Sadly, I live in central WI and there's not much activity on CL around here, at least not close enough to drive during this virus craziness. But I have time. My Stumper can be my ride for awhile while I keep my eyes open.
While things are shut down is a perfect time(as any) to take a drive and pick something up, if you find the right bike/deal. I live in SE WI and drove to Rochester for like-new Lemond Maillot Jaune..long day, but well worth it in the long run. A (long) drive to pick something up only lasts a day, while owning/riding/enjoying the bike can last....many years.

If you create and monitor a regional search (via searchtempest) from your area..say 300 miles..you'll note that the largest volume of decent bikes seem to come out of the Minneapolis-Plymouth area. You'll see some reasonable activity in Madison and then Milwaukee & Chicago.

All that being said, Maelochs' post is spot-on. Use the next 3-6 months to learn the market and more about what you're looking for..and watch a regional search..and see where you end up. Without too much trouble, you can find premium-component road bikes that originally sold for (in today's dollars) $2000-$4000 going for $600-$1000.

Know your frame size so when a deal pops up you can move fast. If you see a nice bike at a decent deal on CL(or wherever) don't ponder on it for long(like a day or two) or it'll be gone. If you need any help in the Milwaukee area..send me a PM.

edit:..P.S. What is your road-bike frame size? I'm guessing 54cm-ish??

Last edited by fishboat; 04-05-20 at 04:31 PM.