Old 01-31-20, 11:35 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Wow, way to tear apart someone's bike, I don't see how the marlin is really that much worse then an antique or so bad it has to be denigrated like that.
Looking up the specs on the Marlin shows that it is running a real cassette, not a freewheel which should make the hubs better.

To the OP, if money is an issue there's nothing wrong with using the equipment you have. If you have some decent technical knowledge/ability you can always convert your bike to a drop bar cheaper then you'll buy one. Microshift has a pair of 3x7sp shifters that should work fine with your bike and go for 60-80, a basic drop bar will cost another 20-30, new tape and some brake housing and you should be good to go. I like cross levers on my touring bikes so another 20.00 and your bike is set. Thinner tires are also nice but unnecessary. Check out 365cycles for the levers, randombikeparts for the bar, tape and cross levers or the bikewagon ebay account, they also have deals on their website. Depending on your weight, the load, the terrain and the quality of the rims and build 32 spoke can be more then adequate to the task. My own touring bike supports me, at 275lb, and my equipment and does fine. Trek outfits with OK rims so you'll get away with it a couple times on those wheels but long term you'll need better. Course you could also just do nice tires, some bar ends for extra hand positions and just go with it, seen that plenty along the Erie Canal. Your frame should take a rack from the pictures and the stays should be long enough that bags won't get in the way. Might also get a deal on something older but look for something with bar ends or brifters and made within the last 1/4 century,ld wheels had more spokes for a reason, the old wheels were not as good as modern ones and I wouldn't want to tour on them, to me newer is better.
Now there's an opinion I would really like to examine. One of those bikes, the one I am most interested in is lauded as one of the best touring bikes of all times, the Schwinn Voyageur SP, by guys on this same forum. I am signed up for a Masters mechanic series of classes and plan to make sure whatever I go on is in top shape. If however the Schwinn is just an old bike and I would be better off on my Trek, that's something I want to know for sure. Are the guys who talk up the Schwinn VSP just high on old steel dust, or has this gentleman just not yet learned to trust anything not new?

Respectfully, my friend, is that opinion based on experience or based more on caution? I don't want to waste any money on an older bike ,even restored if it just isn't up to the task. I would rather liquidate something and drop $1500,if nostalgia is the only reason to buy what is considered a touring classic from 1983.

BTW
I'm 51 years old 6'2 and 170 lbs if that matters.