Old 10-18-18, 05:29 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
We have a major University in our town, so that helps to always have fresh blood. It probably evens out though when they graduate.

There's been expansions of MUPs here and proposals of expensive MUPs to connect larger trail systems so I take that as a good sign. People seem positive to it since it's not just cyclists benefiting. The rails to trails program is a God send to the mid west. I see lots of families enjoying cycling on the trails.

Also interesting is in my aggressive punk riding, there has been pretty much zero negativity towards me by automobiles. Nothing like the crazy stuff I see else where. Infact drivers are often too courteous.

As far as organized rides go I have yet to join, and I'm only aware of one group really that's only maybe an average of fifteen members. They seem really friendly though.
I think in Iowa we are lucky that Ragbrai has become so big. It has promoted cycling in our bigger cities and I even see some small towns trying to put MUP's in, even if they are just gravel. Part of the reason I will be purchasing a gravel bike this winter.
My worries for cycling is that I see fewer and fewer kids on them. I live in and grew up in a town of 1500 people. During the summer everyone rode their bikes to the swimming pool and ball parks, even out to the local lake to fish. When I go past these places now I rarely see a bike but tons of parents that drove 5 blocks to drop their kid off.