Old 10-15-19, 10:03 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
With the exception of the e-bike market, all non-motorized bike segments seem to be contracting.

I see the entire non-motorized bike industry in decline. Green Gear's sale is just one manifestation of that decline. I certainly don't blame them for not being able to see what's coming, namely, why pedal if you've got a motor? Why even own a bike if you can rent an electric scooter for the times you need one?

If Green Gear wants to thrive, I think they have to play up their motorized folders. Seems that's the only market with profit or growth available.
That has indeed changed the industry. BF has moved in that direction with several offerings (hub, mid-drive). But again, if people don't know about the product, they can't sell it. They Haul a Day is, imo, an amazing cargo bike with electric assist - carries as much as full sized cargo bikes with a smaller and easier to park footprint. But they just haven't been taking advantage of marketing exposure to compete with the top sellers. The folks I know who have HADs are always stopped by people asking about them - which shows there is interest there, but cargo bike purchasers absolutely want a shop where they can try the bike out and compare to other bikes. Their HAD is a better system than the Tern e-cargo bike and better priced, actually, but Tern is in stores and as a result sells better. Cargo bike owners don't typically shop for bikes online. BF biggest problem is lack of exposure and marketing. Their production system is much easier to remedy.