View Single Post
Old 01-09-20, 02:57 AM
frugihoyi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got this bike used and I don't know if it has been modified in any way. Also it was filthy, I spent four hours cleaning it and still couldn't get all of the gunk off (you can see that in the close-up pics). I think a high-pressure wash could do the trick but unfortunately I don't have access to such a tool. Here are some pics:

Originally Posted by 100bikes
I believe that chain guide is a bit of a band-aid solution and would aid if the chain were jumping of the front end..
Which it is.

Is the derailleur hanger bent/ has the bike fallen over?
IMO this is a very likely cause, as it would be nearly impossible to get the derailleur adjusted to
function correctly if the dropout or derailleur hanger is bent.
This is most likely, especially if the problem just started to happen without any component changes.
I don't know if it is bent, can you tell from the pics? Also, it has been happening from the beginning but I got this bike used so I don't know if there have been component changes.

Is the wheel in the dropouts squarely( you mentioned that the wheel cannot be adjusted to affect chain length- I am curious why)
The wheel fits into a very specific spot, it's not like my other bike where I can move it back and forth. Can you see that in the pics?

Any new parts, wheels etc.?
Not sure, the bike is used.

The frame alignment can also affect this. Do the string test for alignment-
Take a long piece of string around headtube and touch each rear dropout. The spacing of the string at the seat tube should
be equal on both sides.
I haven't had time to do this yet, but I'll try it and report my findings.

Have you checked dropouts and other frame members to see if they have released from their proper connections?
Does the bicycle handle funny, not ride or track like it once did?
Can you ride it (safely) no handed?
Everything looks fine, I can easily ride it no-handed.

Originally Posted by VladAlex
As our friends sayed above, mounting a chainguide will be the cheapest solution and should be taken in consideration after checking the condition of rear derailleur, limit screws, indexing. The clutch is a part that is putting tension on the chain making it sitting more firmly to the sprockets . Have you converted yourself the drivetrain from multiple chainrings to 1 by ? You might run into a problem caused by chainline where the chain might be ok with the middle gears but can go out on the ends.
I haven't converted anything, but maybe the previous owner did.