carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by MrMinty
Thanks for the advice Carleton.

Like I said, I'm just starting out, so still experimenting either gears etc.

I have a couple of clinics and am a specific track sprint team (blackline) which is really good

Fortunately my local track (Manchester UK) has a mylaps timings, so a chip on bike records splits at 50/150/250m

Quick question- do you do 100m efforts from 0-100m or 150-200m?
I would suggest starting out with gears progressing from the bottom up as opposed to top down. As others have noted, you can't just hop on to big gears and perform your best.

Flying 100s are measured and timed from the 0-100M of the Flying 200M. The whole purpose of the flying 100 is to see how you are doing but save energy on the backside of the effort. This is because, through the years, coaches have noticed that the 2nd half of the effort was around the same time as the 1st half plus about 0.1s. So, you get the same info with half of the data points. It's not 1/2 the physical effort though because you still have to wind up during a F100 like you do a F200. That takes a lot of energy.

You don't have to use MyLaps. That's for timing...laps

Take note of the Flying 200M start line and there should be a 100M tick painted on the track for the 100M point. Do your efforts and "shut off the gas" at that tick. Roll off the track then write down your top speed, gearing, and any notes you have.

The Flying 200M started as a "fitness test" to sort out the seeding order for a tournament and has matured into its own event. A lot of people still go into it with a fitness test sort of approach and just do whatever without practice. It should be practiced the way a basketball player practices free throws.