Old 09-25-19, 01:27 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I think the steel/cro-mo bars are 1lb heavier than typical carbon bars. The aluminum versions weigh about the same.

The heat-treated aluminum models are very, very stiff. The steel are ridiculously stiff. Uncomfortable on bumpy tracks. But, take the $300 you saved and buy comfort elsewhere Not an issue indoors or on smooth tracks.

EDIT: MrMinty, don't worry. At the level you are now, round bars are not holding you back. You just need time-on-task. The major benefit of "track" or "sprint" bars is their shape. Their quick sloping design allow you to do standing starts or out-of the saddle jumps without jamming your forearms into the tops of the bars and bruising them.

You cannot do this with road bars that expect your elbows to be bent:
Lol, ah crap...my latest sprint bars are SC SL-80 (swapped from stock Felt bars to Pro Vibe 7S, to now these Zipps---I was looking for longer reach on a budget). I guess I'm in for some punishment. Live and learn, I suppose...and buy lots of bike parts.

Btw, I've been enjoying this thread tremendously. To Carleton and all of the experienced sprinters sharing tips to us newbie sprinters, thank you! Just started learning track sprinting in the past two months, and the more I learn, the more I realize how detailed this discipline is. Fascinating stuff.