Old 11-06-17, 05:13 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
After getting into watching a bit of f1 and doing some real basic karting as a kid, I think it would be quite enjoyable to go learn. When I've been to the track most recently I find myself struggling with driving lines. So used to the late apex we get away with in bike racing that I usually let off the gas too early and accelerate out of the corner too early. Makes for sketchy(and slow!) corners.

My brother is a mechanic for a friend on a Race truck and has dabbled in a bit of wrenching for karts. He just tells me how crazy expensive it is. I already spend enough money on my hobbies
My friend gave me some tips, sort of like a Cat 3 telling a newbie about bike racing. He got rid of his something kart (high rpm, 30-ish hp) and is using a spec 9 hp one now. Said his lap times were not that far off because the more powerful kart was so peaky (and the regular outdoor course where he races doesn't have the long fast sections that work for the high rpm karts).

I learned a few things about karting - the need to lean out or sit upright on turns, not in (to lift the inside rear wheel - solid axle), to maintain speed vs taking the "right line" (to keep engine in proper rpm range, else you lose too much power/momentum), minimal steering input (same as cars I think).

I found that getting a good exit before long sections really makes a huge difference, esp when chasing someone that sacrifices the exit to defend into the turn.

As far as racing goes, I know very little. I hope not to make huge mistakes out there.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson