View Single Post
Old 04-19-19, 08:26 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I just returned back from our vacation to Japan. Among other things, we did Shimanami Kaido...spectacular...I'd say anything on Kyushu will be awesome but beware :-) The Japan I experienced was very hilly so plan your routes accordingly. I found the people entirely wonderful, respectful and willing to help out. I saw a lot of cool folder bikes in Japan.

I used exclusively the Booking.com app to find accommodations and it worked very well for us.

The food in the Family Mart mini stores is actually pretty good if You like Japanese food and it is inexpensive too.

Bring mini towel - toilets usually don't have ways to dry your hands

There are no trash cans on the streets but you can utilize trash cans in family marts, seven11 and other stores. There is no litter on the streets ... amazing. Eating while walking is considered rude. They don't do it and it is discouraged in some cases with signage.

Originally Posted by dgodave
I'm quite excited about my upcoming tour. 2 weeks starting May 1. All in Kyushu. On the Brompton folder. Inns, airbnb, hotels - not camping.

Days 1 & 2: Fukuoka, get my bearings, look & ride around, get some things together.
Days 3 & 4: early train to Usa and ride the Kunisaki Peninsula
Day 5+ ???

Please let me know if you have any advice, thoughts, etc.