Old 06-04-19, 01:32 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
I fully expect autonomous vehicles to, eventually, make the roads significantly safer for all of us. I can't see how anyone would think this would be the "wrong turn" for us to take.

Yes, there will be glitches, and things that were overlooked. But none of that is anywhere near as significant as something like texting and driving.
Depends on how widespread you believe texting and driving is. I mean ... just as a WAG, given the general consensus I would have expected vehicle deaths to have risen 100% at least, over ... say 10 years. Have they? I'm not sure but I don't think so. The data is certainly there if anyone is curious. But, to your point, I am not one of those who thinks AV's will be rampaging murder machines. I am concerned that given our penchant for insisting that our programmer class consist exclusively of individuals from tightly regulated societies that AV's will prove unable to function in a mixed culture of automated and non-automated vehicle traffic. Guess who will be asked ordered to cede the public spaces when the conflicts begin to rise in number?