Old 07-10-20, 04:02 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I've been lucky as far as impact crashes go. I've only had the 30 mph road rash from a front tire caught in a rut, and mild concussion from going over the bars into a 4 foot deep ditch after the front wheel sank into deep sand just off the shoulder and stopped instantly. But what still ails me is knee pain I developed in 2017 (which I assume was from sprinting training at the time) that just won't go away, and is keeping me from doing: anything out of the saddle, anything above 400 watts, no sustained climbs (and I have a 3,000' climb just 5 miles from my front door), nor anything longer than 40 miles with 2,000'. MRI was inconclusive. PT and stretching gains are marginal. On top of that I was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer about 9 months ago (caused by cycling, not likely) and initially I had thought that was the end of my riding altogether, if not my life. But I've since beaten that and am now back to riding 150 miles a week, and all I can think about is riding like I used to 200-250 miles per week, centuries, double centuries, big climbs, KOM chasing, but I've come to accept my new normal, and am just hoping for the day when the knee pain fades away.
Congrats on beating that!