View Single Post
Old 08-18-19, 06:47 PM
Demet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
Take it slow @Demet, be prepared to walk away if it gets to be too much and you feel like reaching for a hammer (ask me how I know) lots good info on the web - Check out RJ the Bike Guy on You Tube, Sheldon Brown's site is great and some above already pointed you to Randy Jawa's Mytenspeeds site. Park tool also has some great videos. I also have found vintage 70s and 80s bike manuals for dirt cheap an Amazon if you want a more analog reference. I really like Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance and Richard's Bicycle book gets good reviews. And of course ask here or search the forum. The nice thing about doing your own maintenance is that not only does it save you $$ in the long run you get to amortize that lovely new Park work stand you bought ....
Thanks for the encouragement ryansu! Yeah I have almost punted to a LBS but then I remember the bike stand lol. I'll look into those books, thank you.

OK I think my first task is figuring out what brake calipers I need, so I have them before I start the conversion: I'm aware that this old Motobecane doesn,t have the recessed spot for most calipers, and I need long reach. Anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this? Obviously I'd like the best braking I can get... Already have tektro brake levers and Shimano brake cables.

Ah, thanks for the RJ the Bike Guy referral, he actually had a video on this exact subject and now I have a plan! Ordering some Tektro Dual Pivot Caliper Brakes ;-)
Likes For Demet: