Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by L8APEXN
"the best innovation in recent years for mountain biking" is the uninformed claim that you made. Droppers aren't some new invention as you falsely claimed.

Yeah, I was indeed late to the dropper party since I was the third (fourth?) guy in my extended group to get one. I was a hold out until I saw how well they held up and how they made riding more fun.

I don't know where you're getting your sales figures but 2004 was the year that they were everywhere in the media (MBA, Velo News, Dirtrag, etc.)
Yours was a very unusual group then. For several years after I got mine in 2005, almost nobody even know what the heck it was. Everyone thought I had a seat post shock. Yes, GD got SOME coverage (that's how I knew about it) as as something new, but nobody was raving about them, and not a lot of people bought them. They were largely written off as a gimmick. I road with a lot of of folks I hooked up with through MTBR in CA from 2004-2006. These are the guys who were buying new bikes practically every year. I saw ONE besides mine.

The fact is that droppers were extremely rare before around 2007, and still uncommon until a few years after that.

Go look at some of the "show us your rigs" threads from MTBR from 2004-2007 and tell me the percentage with GDs you see. Gonna be really, really small.