Old 05-25-20, 09:12 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
Some great terrain around here for sure! I've been googling around for rides in the catskills, that's a bit more of a drive than I'd like from here, but I LOVE springtime with vibrant green foliage everywhere, and I'm sure it would be a ride I'd remember for decades to come, so a ~2.5 hour drive is tolerable in light of that.

Temp bike, I normally fly with my 1985 Dahon 3 speed folding bike, but my boss said he was going to buy a bike that I could use while here and then leave it with him for him to own, but the bikes he was looking at all got bought before he could get them, so when I showed up I didn't have my folder, and he didn't have a bike, and man, I've never seen CL so devoid of lower end bikes. I found a used bike shop online called Gallery 35, he said he had sold ~%80 of his stock over the last few weeks, this Continental was all he had that was even slightly appealing to me, and I was taking time off the clock to try to go look at bikes so picking one and getting it over with was really in my best interest.

$165. I should be able to wring it out of my boss though and then leave the bike with him.
$165 is a lot of money for this bike but it's not a crazy price given that it's NYC and pandemic pricing.

The riding in the Catskills is very fine. I'd check out some of the local clubs and see if you can get their routes. I know the Mid Hudson bike club does some riding there. Also check out the Gunks for bike riding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawangunk_Ridge