Old 06-18-20, 05:34 PM
ulstoft

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
don't rule out a Rohloff hub.
I will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

In the UK there are several good brands, Thorn, Dawes and possibly others. I do not live in UK, so I am mostly relying on what I have read when I said that, but I do own two Thorn bikes. On the continent there are Koga, Santos and probably others too.
I looked at Thorn closely and will look again. I did not see that one bike that jumped out at me. With the builder I'm speaking to now, I have wide latitude to swap parts, can have a custom frame made to measure and can choose the colour.

My Thorn Nomad Mk II, below, I refer to that as my expedition bike.
The photos are really great and a good inspiration to get out into the summer!!

The bike in the photo above has 26 inch wheels. You said you were looking at size 57 frame, the frame in the photo is a 59M. That bike has a Rohloff hub, thus no front or rear derailleurs in the photos.
Thing that worries about these kind of systems though, it cannot easily be repaired? I suspect it is bullet proof, but I have tried to avoid anything that requires replacement parts that are difficult to source.

If someday you would want a dynohub, get it when you get the bike. The cost difference is the extra cost of the dynohub minus the cost of the non-dyno hub you would not be buying. But if you buy it later, you would be buying a second hub, second set of spokes, another fee to build the wheel, and possibly another rim. You can buy a dynohub wheel and not wire it to anything initially if you are trying to save a bit on the price initially.
It will add something like $400 to the price so I think I am going to avoid it for now. I'm really intrigued by the concept though and it would be great for my upcoming journey because I often have to find creative solutions for charging my power-bank.

The bike in the photo tips the scale at a bit over 20 kg, which is quite heavy. If i am doing a less adventurous trip where I am not carrying that heavy of a load, I use a lighter weight bike. You might want to really think about how heavy duty (and heavy) a bike you need and buy accordingly. In my case, I have three touring bikes but it sounds like you want one for all purposes. My other two are lighter weight and use derailleur drive trains, there are advantages and disadvantages to both types of drive trains.
Yes I just want one bullet proof touring bike with good components at this point. The next one on the horizon is a new road bike to replace my recently stolen one