View Single Post
Old 06-19-20, 06:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by ulstoft
The frame and forks will be different with the disc bake option so that is a choice I have to make up front. I was also advised that the fork used in the v-brake setup provides a more comfortable ride. I think the disc brake setup uses a straighter fork.
One of the bikes I built up, I bought the frame that was disc only. The fork for that frame was another $300 USD, but I already had a fork with the correct specifications for that frame that used rim brakes, the result is that I saved some money on that bike and have V brakes on front and disc on rear. There is nothing wrong with mixing brakes as long as you have the appropriate brake levers for the cable pull.
​​​​​

Originally Posted by ulstoft
Thing that worries about these kind of systems though, it cannot easily be repaired? I suspect it is bullet proof, but I have tried to avoid anything that requires replacement parts that are difficult to source.

It will add something like $400 to the price so I think I am going to avoid it for now. I'm really intrigued by the concept though and it would be great for my upcoming journey because I often have to find creative solutions for charging my power-bank.
Rohloff - there are occasional reports of one having to go back to the factory for repair, there used to be occasional reports of a spoke pulling out a spoke hole in the flange. Many of the reports that suggested factory repairs were on fairly new hubs that had a slightly off-spec part. But the vast majority of Rohloff owners have found them to be trouble free. A few years ago, Rohloff added flange reinforcing rings to all new hubs, that prevents trip ending flange failures, they can still crack but the hub is still rideable. I added those rings to my hub.

Also on the topic of Rohloffs, some bicyclists use belt drive, some use chain. I prefer chain because I gear my bike up higher when riding near home but when carrying a heavy load on a bike tour, I use a smaller chainring to have lower gearing. It is easy to change chainrings and remove or add a few chain links. But to change the gearing range on a belt would be much more complicated and expensive. That said, many belt users prefer belts.

A Rohloff puts a lot of torque on the rear left side dropout if the frame is built for the Rohloff as mine was. There are other ways to deal with the torque if your frame is not strong enough, but that is a conversation to have with a frame builder. And if a belt is used, a stay has to be split apart to install or remove the belt.

There are advantages and disadvantages to derailleur vs internal geared systems. There was a long thread on that topic a few months ago, I wrote several posts on that thread, located here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...l#post21144689

I also wrote up some of my thoughts comparign Rohloff and Pinion, that might have more detail on the Rohloff too.
CoMotion Siskiyou with Pinion/Gates - Page 3 - Bike Forums

Dynohub - I have bought two new SP hubs, they cost a lot less than Son hubs. I have my GPS on for navigation purposes while riding. Thus, I need power. And on prior multi-week bike touring trips I was often looking for places to charge up batteries. If your trips are a week long or less, I think it makes the most sense to just carry a good size powerbank. But if you want to be self sufficient for multi-week trips, especially in places with lots of clouds, a dynohub is a good solution. I described what worked for me best on my five week tour last summer on a different forum, the link to that posting is here:
Electrics that I use for bike touring - what works for me.