View Single Post
Old 06-20-20, 10:42 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
I am just constantly amazed that people still keep going on about Sram front mechs not working well.
I have had several and the shifting is excellent and comparable to the other brands.
I've never known a SRAM front derailleur, of any vintage to work well. My wife hates hers. And although it should work, it doesn't. It's not adjustment of the limit screws. It's not cable tension. It's not alignment. It's not height above the rings. The performance is just spotty, inconsistant, & terrible. Over the years I've made every attempt to address whatver the concern is "this ride" but there is just nothing more to do & she is begging for a swap to anything else from SRAM Red.

You can now add rear derailleur to the list of garbage SRAM turns out as well...A friend & I took out our mountain bikes the other day. Hers had never been crashed, knocked over etc. & had only been on 1 other ride. A hollow pin of rolled steel in the derailleur bent (& then sheared) from what we can only figure was vibration of riding or just simply the force of the long lever of the derailleur cage necessary to extend up to the 50 tooth cog. To cap it off, while sorting out the derailleur situation, we learned the shifter has enough room internally for the head of the shift cable to turn around & jam up the guts of the shifter. It's just sloppy design. It was a long, slow 7 mile ride/coast down off the mountain.

$125 for a better derailleur with a solid pin, plus labor on a twice riden bike.

I'd send my money elsewhere. Over-priced, poorly engineered & cheaply executed.

Car dependency is a tax.