View Single Post
Old 07-03-20, 08:00 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 401 Posts
Folding/Rinko bike builds for touring

I hope this can be a resource thread in the future for others who are considering a folding bike for light touring. Others can feel free to show their compactable bikes and how they set them up for touring. In my case I'll document my 2013 Montague Navigator; what I like and what I'll change.

For a while I have wanted to build a rinko type bike for travelling and have considered a retrofit of a rigid 26" mtb but was pleasantly surprised to see a Montague Navigator come up on CL last week. With CL you never know what you'll encounter but upon meeting the seller (a nice older fellow) I felt pretty happy about the deal. He still had the original bill of sale with his name on it from 2013 and the bike looked very well maintained, clean and stored in his apt, so I gave him the asking price ($200) for a $1000 bike.

There are some things I like about the bike, some things I'm meh about, and some things I want to change in order to use it for light touring and intermodal travel.

Some specs:

700c 32h wheels
48/38/28 Suntour SR crankset
11-25 9 speed cassette
Sora and Altus derailers and RF shifters
Dual pivot caliper brakes but with mounts for disc conversion
Flat bar/platform pedals
Octagon (TM) steerer/stem system

I've taken it for a test ride and have created a shopping list. Off to the MEC tomorrow for some upgrades!

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-03-20 at 08:29 PM.