mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Yup, this thread is coming along nicely. Everybody has a personal preference, and it's, well, personal.
Yup, whatever makes you comfortable, wear it.

I prefer wool pants rolled up below the knees with over-the-calf socks and long sleeved tops - wool sweaters of varying density depending on the weather - but always in layers on cold mornings because they don’t always stay that way. I have rediscovered wool as a near miracle fiber (I’m a stinky old man too) - most tight-fitting plastic stuff acquires a funk that just wont go away. I will wear a light fishing shirt - they match the needs of cyclists quite well.

It was fun last year riding Going to the Sun Road in a cloudy drizzle and being caught by a full-Lycra kid, then staying with him the rest of the way at his pace. He was surprised that “such an old bike” with a handlebar bag could be as quick as his wunderkarbon. He was also a bit chagrined when I wanted to climb over a small snow slide to go further - he was freezing and had to turn back (his 10-mile descent was going to be even colder!). I was fine in three layers of wool - I ate my sandwich while I watched snow continuously fall down a large slide that kept me from the top. A windbreaker kept me warm enough on the descent.

“There’s no such thing as poor weather, just poor clothing choices.”