View Single Post
Old 07-08-20, 04:45 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3987 Post(s)
Liked 2,823 Times in 1,620 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes View Post
Thanks. Yes, I know the, " ugly American" comment wasn't directed at me. What I took issue with, was the comment being made at all, to anyone. THe comment was made before anyone knew where the OP lived. For all I knew, the OP lived in Illinois, or Iowa. The comment has no place int his thread, and served no purpose. The comments made by some were not helpful, but to automatically call them out as being in some way racist is ridiculous, and in fact, the only racist, or perhaps nationalist, comment made, was the comment about ugly Americans. Once again, it has no place here. BTW my wife is not "American," and is from Asia.

Yes, I agree, the technique has merit, and is very creative. I just think the OP did not make the bike look old enough. That being said, it is his bike, and if he is happy with the results, that is all that counts. I think the technique could be used to really age a bike, and camouflage it. I like the idea a lot.

So my thought is, let's stay on topic, and leave the race baiting out of it. We are all bicyclists, and people.

Don't think "ugly American" is race baiting , rather it's a reference to an ugly attitude towards other cultures that may or may not have been at play here. I did go back and see that OP didn't mention where he was from in this thread, I had remembered it from another thread and it blurred in my mind, so yeah maybe going right to it was a mistake.

I still find this "find the troll" crap (which you haven't engaged in) to be really obnoxious, and a lot of times it really boils down to class or cultural snobbery --disbelief that there's people who live/ride "like that".

OP mentioned in his first post on this thread that he was dealing with riding around street gangs. That should have been enough for people to realize he's dealing with stuff beyond the experiences of most of the people who post here.

OP doesn't need me to "defend" him. In another thread, he described what he has to go through just to get an hour's ride. I suspect he's a lot tougher than the keyboard patrol guys posting here.
Likes For livedarklions: