Old 07-12-20, 04:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986
IMO, that’s a bit unfair to the organizers, Kaori in particular. Like Joe, I had been in contact with Kaori sharing my concerns and like many / all of us, we were learning as we went with this unfolding pandemic. The organizers here in the US were trying to deal with ever changing and unfolding statistics and state mandates. Meanwhile the Italian contingent we’re dealing with a much worse (at the time) outbreak in Italy and Europe.

Each group (and us riders) hoped against hope that maybe it would be safe enough to hold the event but it became clear it was not safe to do so. The late notification didn’t help most of us but I believe most of us have recovered much of the financial costs of cancelling travel and accommodations given the general response of the travel industry (aside from some airlines).

Rescheduling Eroica to end of September was an optimistic try at getting the event in, and California was making reasonable headway with its tough lockdown measures which made that date look maybe possible.

However, the economic and political issues of extended lockdown made partial and full reopenings by most states a “higher” priority than the health concerns. As some may now realize or acknowledge, reopening (and ignoring social distancing and mask guidelines) has unleashed a second wave which is worse than the first wave with higher case rates now and eventually more deaths lagging about 2-5 weeks behind.

this second wave, IMO, will drag into the end of summer and fall, and the next flu season. This likely makes Sept. Eroica untenable and like said above, even April 2021 unlikely, as are most organized rides and event here in California in particular, and the Major US in general. Even the Cino in Montana had to be cancelled and that was much much smaller with a very socially distanced state.

https://www.cinorider.com/

Kaori and the organizing committee are working for literally zero income now, as are many in the country. They are trying to be positive but the pandemic keeps knocking everyone back down. All the major sports are still trying to figure out how to come back without fans and reasonably safe for their player employees, but their business is in the billions of dollars. So scheduling will be subject to state mandates and health concerns, especially if those that travel to and from areas of concern and high case loads like Los Angeles.

Ironically, SLO county has one of the lowest case rates in California and only 4 deaths total so far, all very elderly people. I’m not aware of any cases so far in Cambria but with their population of roughly 33-40% over age 60, and the median age now 61, they would be at particular risk with tourism and events like Eroica importing cases from elsewhere.

So, I believe Eroica September is in jeopardy but not for lack of trying. It just isn’t going to be advisable given the state health issues and general US pandemic issues for the foreseeable future. I think the organizers will also come to that inevitable conclusion within the next few weeks.
Sorry, wasn't really referring to them.

However I work in a hospital and can tell you that the amount of foot dragging, wait and see while we do the bare minimum by all involved is very worrisome.

We here in Oregon have been very lucky imo with the amount of it we have experienced but make no mistake, by the time it lights off, any area involved will be upside down far sooner than than you will believe, their continued lack of foresight and understanding will be critical for many when it hits the fan.

The only saving grace will be the frontline nurses and doctors that selflessly put their lives on the line knowing full well they are under supported and under prepared but still do the right thing.

Like I said, not on your or my life.