Old 10-30-18, 05:18 PM
baj2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
53 LBS? Dude, I'd need a back brace just to get that thing in and out of my house!

On that note, does anybody know how much the BD fat bikes weigh? The Framed Minnesota 2.0 claims to weigh just over 34lbs, and I believe the Blue Philly (which looked nice, but I can no longer find) was about the same.

I doubt I'll get the green light from the SO to buy a fat bike, but as a dirty roadie, weight is somewhat important, as is keeping the cost down since I'd only use it a few months out of the year
In my engineering work circles there's a familiar cube-poster (hard-copy meme?) that goes like this:

Pick Two:
-Good
-Fast
-Cheap

Put "Light" in place of "Fast" and I think the same applies to bikes and components.

My 19" (large) Motobecane Sturgis Bullet with Aluminum frame, Bluto suspension fork, 80mm wheels and 4.5" tires was almost 35lbs. I weighed a tube when I was swapping tires, came in at 1.3lbs, so going tubeless would help that. A steel frame will weigh a little more, but if you go with a rigid fork that would probably more than offset the Bluto. I was surprised how well this bike "carried" it's weight when riding, but still heavy. After a couple of close calls trying to hang it from the wheels in the garage I bought one of those rope bike hoists.

From what I've seen the BD bikes aren't really any heavier than other brands with similar components.

On the crazy side, a friend built an all-carbon fatbike (frame, fork, wheels, bars, stem, seat post - pretty much everything he could find) from scratch with top-of-the-line drive train and brake components, 4.5" tires and 1x11 for about $3000 and it was only 23lbs. The ride is pretty amazing, I was impressed. But yeah, convincing the wife that I need to sink $3k into a new fatty would be a significant challenge.