View Single Post
Old 02-19-19, 10:02 PM
Ericoschmitt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Another resource, that I more often see mentioned in the "Alt Bikes" forum: https://www.atomiczombie.com/
(Note: I've not used them, so I point out the resource, but can't recommend/ disrecommend their plans, either.)
Extra weight won't make much difference in a flat area, but will work against you in a hilly area.
It seems like all the "fast" bikes I've seen, upright or recumbent, generally used 700 wheels, not sure why that is. Other things being equal, it helps if you can use the same tires and tubes as your other bikes and same as other riders.
A fairing may work against you in a hot climate, but work better in a cold climate.
Years ago, I used to see a local rider in a fully-faired recumbent with homemade fairing out of coroplast. He liked it, but wasn't especially fast, either, so I'm not so sure it really helped him.
Thanks for the link! The pics already give me some ideas, I might buy one just for reference.

The record holder HPV bikes all have small wheels and massive chainrings, so that has to work...What tires do they use anyway?
I know fairing can work against rider in hot climate, and I live in Brazil. So that's why I'm thinking about tail fairing and windshield only to cover cranks and front wheel, although it would be cool being able to bolt some more on it later.

What kind of bikes have you had experience with regarding fwd/rwd? Any idea what should I be looking for if speed is the first priority? I won't be commuting on it, but I still have to be able to ride from home through city and then hit the road.

This 20/20 fwd lowracer does look like something I would ride: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c0/22...367a40a4c4.jpg
I'd still make it a bit more laid back and use rod or cable for steering so I can tuck my arms.
This is a fixed bb, how well do these things steer anyway?