Old 02-25-18, 07:37 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Car free question

I've been car-lite since I retired (6 years now) and put less than 400 miles a year on my car. I'm tired of paying insurance, registration, etc. I use the car maybe twice a month and have to remember to run it to charge it up. I'm getting an electric drive kit for my bike this summer (easily removed and installed when I need it) and I have a Burley Travoy. I'm thinking I will sell the car when I get it. I live in the Bay Area, good weather almost all year long. Being retired, I don't have to go out if the weather is bad and I don't have to go out when it's dark. Very good public transit with Bart and busses.
I'm trying to anticipate when I might actually need a car. If you are car-free how do you deal with situations where you would normally have a passenger? Sometimes I pick up someone to go to a movie or somewhere. Do I have to always tell them to meet me if I'm car free? How do you deal with that?
In rare situations where I need a car to go more distance, I can use a Zip car or City car share (I go visit family once a year about 2 hours away). Are there other instances where you find you really need a car?
Once I sell the car, I will not get another one (although I admit, I am following the Elio 3 wheel enclosed vehicle with great interest). Years of commuting have left me hating to drive and I love to bike. Anything I need to be aware of or prepared for that you can think of would be really helpful. TIA.