Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
The other thing I do worry about is if I injure myself and can't ride for some reason....a car would come in handy. But it's a one-off scenario and I guess I shouldn't worry about it.
I did injure myself so that I couldn't ride or walk during the time I was car free.

I dropped a pot of boiling water on my left foot and burnt it to the bone.

At first, I tried to get around by bus but that was just too hard, so I used taxis if I had to go out. Then my doctor's receptionist put me onto home care nurses, so they came to my house once or twice a day to change my dressing and check up on me so I didn't have to go out. Then I found out about home grocery delivery which was immensely helpful during those months of recovery. And my supervisor set me up to work from home for a few weeks.

When I was somewhat mobile again, I carpooled for 2 or 3 weeks, and then was able to start taking the bus again until I could finally ride.

So ... look around and see what you've got in your area for grocery home delivery, home health care, etc.

Also get comfortable with your public transportation system. I've been taking buses for decades now, and had been for many years before I went car free so there was no sudden learning curve when I went car free ... I just continued to do what I had been doing.