View Single Post
Old 02-28-18, 02:04 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Once I sell the car, I will not get another one (although I admit, I am following the Elio 3 wheel enclosed vehicle with great interest). Years of commuting have left me hating to drive and I love to bike. Anything I need to be aware of or prepared for that you can think of would be really helpful. TIA.
I think that for people who have always depended on driving for transportation, going car-free can feel like moving to another country where you can't drive, with the difference that you have the advantage of having no language barriers or administrative/cultural obstructions to finding work. It can be a little strange to see, after you go LCF, that everyone else doesn't too, especially if you're the kind of person that derives satisfaction from being normal/average. This is something I've noticed about people who move from areas of the world where cycling is a norm, i.e. that they find it less comfortable to bike for transportation in the U.S. because it's an exception rather than a norm. If you don't mind 'taking the road less traveled' though, as per the Robert Frost poem, it can be a great way to take a permanent vacation from the hassles of automotive culture without having to leave all the other comforts and conveniences of home behind.