Old 05-01-19, 02:03 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
Now, re: my original post - I wasn't going to take a pristine 760 off the wall of the Smithsonian and melt it down for bird shot.

I was simply considering giving a new and prolonged life to a well-used 760 frame and fork that is for sale on this site and nobody seems to want - been sitting for a while. If nobody buys this thing and re-builds/re-purposes it, then who knows - it could wind-up sitting on the curb some day because it never got a second life. Is that preferable to an evil 650b conversion?
I'm with you on this. I've got a bunch of classic racing bikes in my garage that I've fitted with triple cranksets, wide range cassettes or freewheels, and the fattest tires they'd take. Why? Because I wanted to ride them. Sure they'd look better with a 53-42, a corncob freewheel, and skinny tubulars, but that wouldn't be of much use to me. My DeRosa and Gios are the only two I hesitated in triplizing, and the DeRosa is a repaint so I did it anyway. So far I've kept the Gios pure, but I'm pretty certain it's racing days are long gone, even if I found a fast rider for it.