View Single Post
Old 06-11-19, 05:08 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
No. How much would you pay a dietitian to help you lose 1/2 lb? Think of it that way. You can spend $6,000 to get a bike that's 3 lbs. lighter, or you can lose 3 lbs. OTOH if your fat % is below say 7, maybe spend the money . . .
I'm 5' 10" and went from 198 lb to 170 lb last winter, so I feel like I'm good.

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
My 46mm Light Bicycle wheels are lighter and only a lil more than half the price. Catch is you have to wait about a month to get them, but the quality is great, and customer service is good too. They have a North American operation as well, if you don't want to buy direct, it's a lil more expensive tho.

They have a similar spec wheel to what you're looking at, just under 1300g with Bitex hubs, 1450g with DT240s.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/U-shape...ompatible.html

Thanks. I'm going to email them but here is the rub...

The bike is fixed gear and the hubs use 15 mm track nuts. To be clear, it isn't a track bike and will never be ridden on the velodrome. It is used exclusively for road riding.

As a general rule, track hubs are not light but the ones on the bike now are about the lightest available - 176 g front/224 g rear - and go for about $150/pair. ProWheelBuilder would build the wheels around them with whatever rim, spoke and nipple I choose.

The front could use a traditional road quick release but I'm not going to save much weight and it would drive up cost. I want matchy-matchy hubs for the sake of pride anyway.

If a company like Light would build a wheelset around my hubs with their rims at $700 and they came close to 1300 grams then I'd go for it.

-Tim-