3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
I'm not sure. I don't normally change or replace chains. They seem to break in with the freewheel and unless you change the freewheel they work fine. I change touring bikes too often to have reliable data on how long they go before having a problem. I've rebuilt some bikes that had chains that are very rusted to a point that many links are frozen or nearly so. I spray WD and wire brush the crap out of them, then freed up all the links, clean and dry it thouroughly and sprayed the silicone/Teflon. If they're mated to the same freewheel, they look and work great. I've come across a few where the owner replaced the chain with a "newer" chain and found a skipping drivetrain. Sometimes a new chain will fix the problem. Sometimes not.
If your asking how many miles I get without needing to reapply the silicone that's hard to say. I've managed about 2000 miles in wet conditions without a problem but when I get home for a cleaning, I reapply so...
I just wondered what everyone is using. I've heard paraffin is good but melting it and dipping the chain after cleaning out all the lube seems like a awfully difficult job. There was a product called triflow that was made for chain lube but it was rather expensive so I just started buying the generic, spray can equivalent. Getting rusty or cruddy chains ready for the silicone coating however was a job for WD-40.
Someone mentioned that the two procceses are duplicating my efforts and do essentially the same thing. He sounded pretty knowledgeable but all I know is my method is pretty easy, pretty cheap and seems to work.
...I'm hesitant to post anything in a chain lube thread, but I would suggest to you that chains nowadays come prelubricated from the factory with some pretty effective stuff that does the job well and does not attract dirt for the first thousand or two miles. If you buy the cheap ones, for like ten or twelve bucks online from KMC, after that you can just throw them in the trash.

For those of you who wish to argue this point, please address your concerns to my private server, over at www.Someone_Who_Cares.net.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 07-04-19 at 09:43 AM.